Monday, August 30, 2010

Our Father Who

Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.


The Our Father is prayer I've recited probably since I could talk but I don't know if I have ever felt God's presence in it the way I did this weekend. On Saturday we went to our friends wedding which took place in a beautiful Catholic Church, it was truly a beautiful ceremony and baptism. I was so happy to be a witness to their beautiful union. It was so comforting to be in the Catholic Church it feels like going "home" to me I've been struggling with the act of forgiveness when it comes to many people in my life and also to forgive myself for the mistakes that I have made. I've been praying and searching for the ability to do so. So after the wedding and baptism we joined together to recite the "Our Father" a prayer that I have said so often, I was speaking it when I felt a place of calm and peace the peace I have been searching for so when everyone repeated "and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" it just seemed to make sense. I felt free that I am able to show compassion for the people who wronged me to move forward even if those people aren't able to because they are still in a dark place of hate, anger, jealousy, and self absorbed distortion. I can forgive them and let them carry the weight of their wrong doings for I know the truth and so does God. I will leave it to God to help them on the journey so maybe one day I could truly reconcile with them.

I think I am going to keep this short and in this moment for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment